St Faiths Cemetery

The original St Faith’s church was built about 1150 on what may be the site of an earlier Saxon church. The adjoining graveyard provided the parish of Havant with its only burial ground for those of any religious denomination. The parish records covering the period from 1653 to 1851 record some 6,000 burials there and from this figure it has been estimated that the graveyard could well contain the remains of over 20,000 people. By the 1850s it was decided that no more burials could be carried out there so a new site would have to be found.

Sir George Staunton generously gave a piece of his land in New Lane for this purpose. One acre was used to provide for those of the Church of England under the control of St Faith’s Church and one quarter of an acre for Dissenters under the control of the Dissenters’ Chapel which later became the Congregational Church and then the United Reformed Church.